Finding a teacher (in Toronto)

For Anything and Everything to do with Flute Playing and Music

Moderators: Classitar, pied_piper, Phineas

Post Reply
andy957
Posts: 97
Joined: Thu Jan 11, 2007 10:18 am

Finding a teacher (in Toronto)

Post by andy957 »

I'm looking for a new teacher in Toronto, and was wondering where if anywhere on this board I can begin a thread aimed at teachers who might visit this board. Otherwise, is there a way to find a list, or, better yet, a recommendation here? I've been through three teachers already, none of them really providing what I'm looking for.

I see at the home page of Fluteland.com a link for "Teachers", and what appears to be a link for "Find a teacher outside of the US" but that it is not clickable.

I'm not an NFA member (yet) so I don't think I have access to their resources.

User avatar
Phineas
Posts: 959
Joined: Sat Jan 22, 2005 1:08 am

Re: Finding a teacher (in Toronto)

Post by Phineas »

andy957 wrote:I'm looking for a new teacher in Toronto, and was wondering where if anywhere on this board I can begin a thread aimed at teachers who might visit this board. Otherwise, is there a way to find a list, or, better yet, a recommendation here? I've been through three teachers already, none of them really providing what I'm looking for.

I see at the home page of Fluteland.com a link for "Teachers", and what appears to be a link for "Find a teacher outside of the US" but that it is not clickable.

I'm not an NFA member (yet) so I don't think I have access to their resources.
Here is a flute player/teacher I know in Toronto named Bill McBirnie. If he cannot help you, I am sure he can refer you to someone who can.

http://www.extremeflute.com/

Phineas

andy957
Posts: 97
Joined: Thu Jan 11, 2007 10:18 am

Re: Finding a teacher (in Toronto)

Post by andy957 »

Phineas wrote:Here is a flute player/teacher I know in Toronto named Bill McBirnie. If he cannot help you, I am sure he can refer you to someone who can.

http://www.extremeflute.com/

Phineas
Thanks much, Phineas. However, he seems to be mostly a jazz player and I'm looking for classically-trained (he may very well be classically trained) so I'm not sure he'd be a good fit.

User avatar
Phineas
Posts: 959
Joined: Sat Jan 22, 2005 1:08 am

Re: Finding a teacher (in Toronto)

Post by Phineas »

andy957 wrote:
Phineas wrote:Here is a flute player/teacher I know in Toronto named Bill McBirnie. If he cannot help you, I am sure he can refer you to someone who can.

http://www.extremeflute.com/

Phineas
Thanks much, Phineas. However, he seems to be mostly a jazz player and I'm looking for classically-trained (he may very well be classically trained) so I'm not sure he'd be a good fit.
Oh, he is classically trained alright. Most flute players that are not sax doublers are(Including myself!). If he cannot help you, and am sure he knows someone who can. Just drop him an email and see. Could not hurt.

Phineas

andy957
Posts: 97
Joined: Thu Jan 11, 2007 10:18 am

Re: Finding a teacher (in Toronto)

Post by andy957 »

Thanks.

Arlee
Posts: 97
Joined: Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:18 pm

Re: Finding a teacher (in Toronto)

Post by Arlee »

Most flute players that are not sax doublers are(Including myself!).
And even some flute players who are sax doublers are classicly trained in flute, like me ;)

User avatar
pied_piper
Posts: 1920
Joined: Sat Mar 31, 2007 1:31 pm
Location: Virginia

Re: Finding a teacher (in Toronto)

Post by pied_piper »

Me too! :D
"Never give a flute player a screwdriver."
--anonymous--

User avatar
Phineas
Posts: 959
Joined: Sat Jan 22, 2005 1:08 am

Re: Finding a teacher (in Toronto)

Post by Phineas »

Arlee wrote:
Most flute players that are not sax doublers are(Including myself!).
And even some flute players who are sax doublers are classicly trained in flute, like me ;)
I did not mean it like that...LOL

Post Reply