No signature links until x number of posts

Support Questions, Tips and General Info

Moderators: Classitar, pied_piper, Phineas

pied_piper

Post by pied_piper »

It seems that in addition to the blatant spammers posting multiple messages with pure spam, there seems to be a number of clowns joining simply to post a message with a signature link to some junk or pharmaceuticals for sale. These messages are nothing more than veils for posting those links. Typically, they say something like "I really like Fluteland" or "I read this forum everyday" but there is nothing of substance either in asking a flute-related question or helpful tips. Can we impose a restriction on new members to disallow signatures until they have proven that they have a real interest in flutes?

Here's a link that explains how to do it with phpbb which powers our forum. This would require them to have made a certain number of posts before they are allowed to use a signature.
http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... &t=2129969

Also, there are other options for restrictions to newbies that might help get rid of junk and spam postings. Can we ask the administrator to add some more restrictions?

How about it folks? What do you think?
"Never give a flute player a screwdriver."
--anonymous--

Classitar

Re: No signature links until x number of posts

Post by Classitar »

Thanks for the link, it would be great to cut back on the spam

pied_piper

Post by pied_piper »

Yes, 15 more from a single jerk today. I just don't see why we can't stop it with a few more restrictions on new members. The phpbb options support it if the administrator would simply enable those options. I'm usually on here several times a day and I'd be more than happy to help screen new members.
--anonymous--

Bo

Post by Bo »

Spamming is really out of control at the moment. This also happens on the piano board I usually visit, but it is not as bad as here, so I think the moderators are doing a great job!

KalisaVef

Post by KalisaVef »

I was posting here about a week ago, but for various reasons I was unable to return until not, and I come back to find my account deactivated and all my posts deleted. What happened?

pied_piper

Post by pied_piper »

KalisaVef wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:16 am
I was posting here about a week ago, but for various reasons I was unable to return until not, and I come back to find my account deactivated and all my posts deleted. What happened?
Members who post nonsense messages or put spam links in their signature or do not respond to questions from a moderator soon find themselves removed from the board. Might you have done one or more of these?

You must reply specifically to this message before any more of your posts will be approved.
--anonymous--

VeicaPic

-

Post by VeicaPic »

I have followed the forum rule for entering a signature my profile, the problem is that in my posts the signature appears as "Peter Cadwee-wee" rather than Peter Caddick. Checking back to my profile I find that the signature is correct there. What to I need to do to correct this?



VeicaPic

hi!

Post by VeicaPic »

KalisaVef wrote: ^Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:16 am

At all I do not know, as to tell...