Locating a flute that I used to own

Flute History and Instrument Purchase

Moderators: Classitar, pied_piper, Phineas

musikfan

Locating a flute that I used to own

Post by musikfan » Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:57 pm

Greetings all. If this is posted in the wrong section, please inform me as I am new the forum.

I would appreciate if I might be able to get some advice. Many years back, I owned a Muramatsu DN flute (serial number 30975). Due to financial issues, I sold it on consignment through Muramatsu America around 1993. 26 years later, I am still regretting it and trying to figure out if there is any possible way to track down the buyer and see if they would be interested in selling it back to me. Unfortunately, Muramatsu America does not keep sales records that far back. Does anyone have any ideas of how I might be able to get my flute search "out there" in the spacious firmament so that some flutist might by chance see it and have a lead on it? I realize that this is a pretty long stretch considering the thousands of Muramatsu flutes out there, but I guess I am hopeful for even the smallest chance. I would appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks so much for reading, everyone.

pied_piper

Re: Locating a flute that I used to own

Post by pied_piper » Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:01 pm

There is no national flute registry that you can check. Your best bet is to post here (as you did) and also on several of the Facebook Flute groups. Maybe the person who bought it will see your postings someplace and contact you. Also keep an eye on eBay in case someone decides to sell it there.

Probably the next best thing is to contact lots of flute shops and try to find another Muramatsu DN with a serial number in the same general range as yours. Muramatsu America currently has several used DN models for sale. You should also try a DS model which is the current equivalent model that replaced the DN. You may have better luck with those options.

BTW - I understand your love of your Muramatsu flute. I play a Muramatsu AD and upgraded it with a Williams 14K white gold headjoint. I would not trade it for any other flute. :D
"Never give a flute player a screwdriver."
--anonymous--

musikfan

Post by musikfan » Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:26 pm

Thank you kindly for the advice and encouragement!

pied_piper

Post by pied_piper » Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:59 pm

Also, I forgot to mention, The AD and DN are the same era so the scale is the same. I believe the main difference between the AD and DN is the AD has adjustment screws while the DN does not. Otherwise, they are essentially the same (i.e. Sterling Silver body, head, and keys). Used ADs go for about $1000 or so less than the used DNs... They can be quite a bargain for a pro-level flute.
"Never give a flute player a screwdriver."
--anonymous--