Bending notes

Performace Tips, Advanced Technique and More

Moderators: Classitar, pied_piper, Phineas

AnnaJ

Bending notes

Post by AnnaJ »

Inspired partly by the beatboxing flute player, and partly by needing more things to practice, I've been practicing tone bending and other alternative noises.

I find the middle register much easier to bend down a semitone than the other registers. Is it possible to do the same with the top register? Is anyone knowledgeable about such things?

Thanks,
AnnaJ
"Men have not found the words..., but they have found the music."

MrBaz

Post by MrBaz »

Yes it is possible. I agree with you. I find the mid and lower register the easiest to bend notes.

I wish I could bend my low B enough to make it sound like a Bb. Then you could have another scale to play in 3 octaves.
Last edited by MrBaz on Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yamaha 561
Current Member of Pikes Peak Flute Choir of Colorado.
Previous member of 'Flutes Furioso' in FL.
Previous guest member in the Northwest Florida Symphony Orchestra.

AnnaJ

Post by AnnaJ »

Thanks. I'm going to write some music which requires pitch bends. I need to get some practice in to find out exactly what's possible!
"Men have not found the words..., but they have found the music."

jefkearns

bending

Post by jefkearns »

The open holes on the flute are quite helpful for bending the pitch as much as changing the position of the flute.
Last edited by jefkearns on Fri Dec 19, 2008 1:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

etgohomeok

Post by etgohomeok »

I have a feeling jefkearns is just posting so he can advertise. I propose we change the target off all his links to something like www.pokemon.com.

But anyways. Check out some Robert Dick stuff. He makes instructional videos on how to do weird extended techniques.

musical_Kat

Post by musical_Kat »

etgohomeok wrote:I have a feeling jefkearns is just posting so he can advertise.
LMAO....I think you're right.

Phineas

Post by Phineas »

etgohomeok wrote:I have a feeling jefkearns is just posting so he can advertise. I propose we change the target off all his links to something like www.pokemon.com.

But anyways. Check out some Robert Dick stuff. He makes instructional videos on how to do weird extended techniques.
Yeah, I think you might be right. He keeps refering to his recorded material instead of just giving an explanation and being done with it.

Phineas

jefkearns

sorry

Post by jefkearns »

My apologies if I put too many links in my responses or if it felt like I was just posting to promote my own playing.

I don't feel I was spamming the board or anything, and I feel that visual or auditory learning can usually exceed the written word; especially when we are dealing with sounds and movement of the flute. However, in light of this community feeling otherwise I have taken off any mention of my recordings, and also taken off any links in my responses.

Phineas

Re: sorry

Post by Phineas »

jefkearns wrote:My apologies if I put too many links in my responses or if it felt like I was just posting to promote my own playing.

I don't feel I was spamming the board or anything, and I feel that visual or auditory learning can usually exceed the written word; especially when we are dealing with sounds and movement of the flute. However, in light of this community feeling otherwise I have taken off any mention of my recordings, and also taken off any links in my responses.
Hey Bro

Noone was bashing you, and there is nothing wrong with you posting links. People do this all of the time. It was just strange behavior for a new person to come on the board and start making references to personal/commercial recorded material. Thats all. One thing that is not tolerated very well are spammers. If you are not a spammer, cool. I personally appologize from my mis-judgement. Any contributions you want to make to the board are welcome, including your material.

Its cool.

Peace and love to ya my flute brotha! Welcome to the board!

Phineas

Here is my myspace page

http://www.myspace.com/phineashenshaw

Most of the recordings are things I recorded years ago, but its there!

pied_piper

Post by pied_piper »

etgohomeok wrote:Check out some Robert Dick stuff. He makes instructional videos on how to do weird extended techniques.
Yeah, Robert Dick is really way out there on the flute. He takes pitch bending to the extreme with his glissando headjoint. For those who haven't seen it, check out the link below. Brannen makes and sells them for Robert Dick.

http://www.artistshousemusic.org/videos ... +headjoint
"Never give a flute player a screwdriver."
--anonymous--

Phineas

Post by Phineas »

pied_piper wrote:
etgohomeok wrote:Check out some Robert Dick stuff. He makes instructional videos on how to do weird extended techniques.
Yeah, Robert Dick is really way out there on the flute. He takes pitch bending to the extreme with his glissando headjoint. For those who haven't seen it, check out the link below. Brannen makes and sells them for Robert Dick.

http://www.artistshousemusic.org/videos ... +headjoint
Yeah, I have seen him do Hindrix on flute. Quite spectacular, but he has a special slider headjoint! He is also a regular poster on the flutenet group on Yahoo.

Phineas

etgohomeok

Post by etgohomeok »

Don't mind me jefkearns, I just have a rather sarcastic sense of humor. Put your links back up, I found one of them to be quite pleasurable to listen to.

I still think one or two of them should be discretely changed to www.pokemon.com though :wink:

jefkearns

delete

Post by jefkearns »

delete