Irish tunes

Basics of Flute Playing, Tone Production and Fingerings, Using Metronomes, Scales, Tone, Studies, etc.

Moderators: Classitar, pied_piper, Phineas

sinebar

Irish tunes

Post by sinebar »

I love irish music. Can anyone recomend a good "easy level" music book with irish songs?

flutepicc06

Post by flutepicc06 »

Usually the type of "Irish" music you are probably thinking of is learned by ear as a basic melody, and then embellished with a number of different ornaments, and performed without sheetmusic. I attended a masterclass on Irish music (usually played on a simple system flute), and the presenter strongly suggested that (if you want to be able to play with others) you simply listen to recordings of the traditional reels, jigs, etc. and pick out the melody, and then over time get used to embellishing it. However, not everyone wants to go that route, so I would suggest taking a look at Fluteworld. A cursory search turned up several promising options.

sinebar

Post by sinebar »

flutepicc06 wrote:Usually the type of "Irish" music you are probably thinking of is learned by ear as a basic melody, and then embellished with a number of different ornaments, and performed without sheetmusic. I attended a masterclass on Irish music (usually played on a simple system flute), and the presenter strongly suggested that (if you want to be able to play with others) you simply listen to recordings of the traditional reels, jigs, etc. and pick out the melody, and then over time get used to embellishing it. However, not everyone wants to go that route, so I would suggest taking a look at Fluteworld. A cursory search turned up several promising options.
Thanks I'll look at flute world.

woof

Re: Irish tunes

Post by woof »

sinebar wrote:I love irish music. Can anyone recomend a good "easy level" music book with irish songs?
I would give the Jessica Walsh series of books w CD a try. You can get them at Amazon. I have enjoyed playing alot of those songs and Jessica's variations seem to work pretty well. Many of her books has a play along CD if want to do so.

pied_piper

Post by pied_piper »

Look for an instruction book or book of music for the tin whistle. You can't get more Irish than the tin whistle! Most books of this type are full of simple Irish tunes and the range is perfect for the flute. Some books even offer suggestions on some of the embellishments mentioned in a previous posting.
"Never give a flute player a screwdriver."
--anonymous--

flutepicc06

Post by flutepicc06 »

Fluteworld also has a good selection of Irish Tune books intended for Tin Whistles.

MonikaFL

Post by MonikaFL »

Visit [url=http://www.monikadurbin.com/formiapress]Formia Press[/url] to check out my compositions and arrangements for flute and more.

LimuHead

Post by LimuHead »

Grey Larsen's "Essential Guide" has lots of good information to get you started playing Irish music. It'll get you going on the unique ornamentation used in Irish music. It also has a special section devoted to playing Irish music on the Boehm flute, which helps a lot since most Irish traditional music is played on the simple system 6 hole flute.

If you're just looking for tunes you should check out:

- Harvest Home (the first tune many beginning whistlers and fluters play)

- The Butterfly

- Britches Full of Stitches (an especially easy tune)

- Ballydesmond (sp?) 1, 2, & 3

- Off To California

- Road to Lisdoonvorna

Most of these tunes are fairly easy to play and memorize.

Let us know how you're getting along......

Aldon
My music on the web:
http://cdbaby.com/cd/aldonsanders
http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/album.php?aid=2171&alid=319

sinebar

Post by sinebar »

LimuHead wrote:Grey Larsen's "Essential Guide" has lots of good information to get you started playing Irish music. It'll get you going on the unique ornamentation used in Irish music. It also has a special section devoted to playing Irish music on the Boehm flute, which helps a lot since most Irish traditional music is played on the simple system 6 hole flute.

If you're just looking for tunes you should check out:

- Harvest Home (the first tune many beginning whistlers and fluters play)

- The Butterfly

- Britches Full of Stitches (an especially easy tune)

- Ballydesmond (sp?) 1, 2, & 3

- Off To California

- Road to Lisdoonvorna

Most of these tunes are fairly easy to play and memorize.

Let us know how you're getting along......

Aldon
Thanks for the list. Yeah off to california is a good one.

MonikaFL

Post by MonikaFL »

I looooove Road to Lisdoonvorna -- great suggestion!!
Visit [url=http://www.monikadurbin.com/formiapress]Formia Press[/url] to check out my compositions and arrangements for flute and more.

Mark

Re: Irish tunes

Post by Mark »

woof wrote:
sinebar wrote:I love irish music. Can anyone recomend a good "easy level" music book with irish songs?
I would give the Jessica Walsh series of books w CD a try. You can get them at Amazon. I have enjoyed playing alot of those songs and Jessica's variations seem to work pretty well. Many of her books has a play along CD if want to do so.
I'll second that suggestion.. :)
So many instruments.... so little time.... :)

Jaded

Irish Traditional Music

Post by Jaded »

If you are seeking Irish traditional music, may I suggest :idea: that you visit:

www.whistlethis.com?

The gentleman who runs the web site arranges traditional Irish tunes (including "The Road to Lisdoonvorna" and "The Butterfly") the puts them on his site. He periodically updates the music. The pieces he has chosen for his web site are outstanding, and you can download MP3 versions and whistle tablature if you are not able to read sheet music.

If you sample this music and find yourself drawn to a tin whistle, don't mind me for grinning... :D

sinebar

Re: Irish Traditional Music

Post by sinebar »

Jaded wrote:If you are seeking Irish traditional music, may I suggest :idea: that you visit:

www.whistlethis.com?

The gentleman who runs the web site arranges traditional Irish tunes (including "The Road to Lisdoonvorna" and "The Butterfly") the puts them on his site. He periodically updates the music. The pieces he has chosen for his web site are outstanding, and you can download MP3 versions and whistle tablature if you are not able to read sheet music.

If you sample this music and find yourself drawn to a tin whistle, don't mind me for grinning... :D
Thanks for the great link.

bfloyd

Post by bfloyd »

I don't know how easy a level you wanted to go with but these from Mel Bay are on the beginner side:

http://www.melbay.com/product.asp?Produ ... ch=keyword

http://www.melbay.com/product.asp?Produ ... ch=keyword

The latter are Irish slow airs and are very beautiful. The slow airs are a labeled beginner/intermediate while the first is for beginner.

Jaded

You're Welcome

Post by Jaded »

You are most welcome.

Here are some more links if you ever hanker to try out a whistle, er...fipple flute. :D

http://whistlenow.freeprohost.com/page5.html