practincing

Alternate Fingerings, Scales, Tone, Studies, etc.

Moderators: Classitar, pied_piper, Phineas

-piano-

practincing

Post by -piano- »

I learned flute about 3 months ago (im better way better than you would think), by myself and now i am not sure what i should really be practicing. can someone help me?

vandoren

Post by vandoren »

Give the Ibert Concerto a go !
IanR..................

.............still trying to become a musician at 66 years of age !

fluteguy18

Post by fluteguy18 »

Unless we have a prodigy here, I seriously doubt ANYONE is ready for that piece after 3 months of playing. :wink: I myself am just now getting to that piece, and it is a beast.

Now, I am really going to take you at your word when saying that you are better than one would expect for playing only 3 months.

I suggest looking around at intermediate rep. to get an idea where you stand. Just keep in mind, that music is not learning notes and playing them, but using the notes as a paintbrush to create a work of art.

So, for intermediate pieces, I would start looking at some Baroque pieces. True, several individuals will argue that to play them correctly and with the right style [subtle nuances distinctive to the Baroque era], you need to be an advanced player. This is very correct, but Baroque pieces are good at gauging where you are with your technique and where you currently stand.

-piano-

Post by -piano- »

who is the ibert concerto by? just so i can take a peek at it

fluteguy18

Post by fluteguy18 »

Jacques Ibert wrote the Ibert Concerto. Have fun...

pied_piper

Post by pied_piper »

vandoren wrote:Give the Ibert Concerto a go !
-piano- I think (at least I hope) vandoren's comment was meant as tongue-in-cheek - It's challenging, even for very experienced players.

Perhaps if you gave us some specifics of your playing ability, everyone could offer some meaningful suggestions. For example, what is the range of notes that you can play well? Which major and minor scales can you play? What things do you find easy and what is difficult for you?

Since your board name suggests that you play piano, you probably already read music fairly well and are concentrating on learning the finer points of playing the flute.

I'd suggest that you visit a music store and look through some of the available method books. There are lots out here: Trevor Wye, Rubank and many others. Look at an intermediate level book. If it looks too simple, try an advanced one and vice-versa. Other good flute books for developing technique would include the Taffanel and Gaubert Daily Studies book and the Moyse books.
"Never give a flute player a screwdriver."
--anonymous--

vandoren

Post by vandoren »

:wink:
IanR..................

.............still trying to become a musician at 66 years of age !

piccolo1991

Post by piccolo1991 »

why not something like 40 little pieces, Concert and Contest, or the big yellow book...24 concert studies (if you really are moving quick). Those are all books that my students seem to get to within 1-3 years of playing. Just a thought...given if you are ready for the Ibert, go for it...but I doubt after 3 months anyone is! :wink: