Can someone tell me: Is there an easy, self taught

Basics of Flute Playing, Tone Production and Fingerings

Moderators: Classitar, pied_piper, Phineas

dorm7guard
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat Mar 31, 2012 6:19 am

Can someone tell me: Is there an easy, self taught

Post by dorm7guard » Sat Mar 31, 2012 6:29 am

Can someone tell me if there is an easy, self-taught flute book out there? I have the book "Flute for Dummies" which helps, but was wondering if there are any other good, self - taught books for learning to play the flute?
dorm7guard

cmybliss
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:25 pm

Re: Can someone tell me: Is there an easy, self taught

Post by cmybliss » Sat Mar 31, 2012 10:57 am

As an adult beginner myself, (3 weeks in), I've been using the same band book my daughter uses for her trumpet, Essential Elements 2000 in conjunction with all the great you tube videos available. We have the Smart Music program on out computer which has a very large assortment of material, including scales, arpeggios and etudes. So I don't lack for basic exercises for learning fingering and working on tone. I know there must be some good books out there, but I find it easier to learn by watching and listening to someone else. For more interesting tunes, I like flutetunes.com. At this point, I'm able to play a few duets with my daughter, which is really fun.

Good luck!
Anie

dorm7guard
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat Mar 31, 2012 6:19 am

Re: Can someone tell me: Is there an easy, self taught

Post by dorm7guard » Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:24 pm

I do have the book, Essential elements 2000 plus the DVD. True, working from a book is sometimes difficult, and it would be easier, I guess, to watch people. I just don't know where to put my fingers. It shows how to in books, but the diagrams, I feel just aren't big enough for me to get a clear picture. Also as one is playing and learning, it is hard to turn the pages of the self-taught book. I took one flute lesson, and that was a couple of years ago. Now I am going to start again. When I took the flute lesson, I got "winded" and had to sit and rest. I told the teacher this the other day , when I made an appt. and I told her that I have to work on the breathing better and of course, movement of fingers. One of them, I am going to have to pace myself on, and that is the breathing. Wow, 3 weeks of learning flute, and you are able to do duets with your daughter...Great! I look at two of the books I have, and haven't gotten really anything out of them. I am going to look at the Essential Elements DVD now. I don't think that flute would be that difficult. I took piano lessons, and some guitar lessons. Really want to play flute. Practice and patience...maybe in a month I will be playing a song. I'm not saying that flute lessons are ideal, but I think maybe just to get myself started I will go for a month or two.
Thanks for your help.
dorm7guard

claire
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:17 pm
Contact:

Re: Can someone tell me: Is there an easy, self taught

Post by claire » Sun Apr 01, 2012 3:30 am

cmybliss wrote:As an adult beginner myself, (3 weeks in), I've been using the same band book my daughter uses for her trumpet, Essential Elements 2000 in conjunction with all the great you tube videos available. We have the Smart Music program on out computer which has a very large assortment of material, including scales, arpeggios and etudes. So I don't lack for basic exercises for learning fingering and working on tone. I know there must be some good books out there, but I find it easier to learn by watching and listening to someone else. For more interesting tunes, I like flutetunes.com. At this point, I'm able to play a few duets with my daughter, which is really fun.

Good luck!
Anie
Thank you so much for sharing this, I am learning flute right now, it really helps a lot.

cmybliss
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:25 pm

Re: Can someone tell me: Is there an easy, self taught

Post by cmybliss » Sun Apr 01, 2012 5:15 pm

claire wrote: Thank you so much for sharing this, I am learning flute right now, it really helps a lot.
Your welcome. :D I hope you're having as much fun as I am.

Anie

cmybliss
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:25 pm

Re: Can someone tell me: Is there an easy, self taught

Post by cmybliss » Sun Apr 01, 2012 5:17 pm

dorm7guard wrote:I do have the book, Essential elements 2000 plus the DVD. True, working from a book is sometimes difficult, and it would be easier, I guess, to watch people. I just don't know where to put my fingers. It shows how to in books, but the diagrams, I feel just aren't big enough for me to get a clear picture. Also as one is playing and learning, it is hard to turn the pages of the self-taught book. I took one flute lesson, and that was a couple of years ago. Now I am going to start again. When I took the flute lesson, I got "winded" and had to sit and rest. I told the teacher this the other day , when I made an appt. and I told her that I have to work on the breathing better and of course, movement of fingers. One of them, I am going to have to pace myself on, and that is the breathing. Wow, 3 weeks of learning flute, and you are able to do duets with your daughter...Great! I look at two of the books I have, and haven't gotten really anything out of them. I am going to look at the Essential Elements DVD now. I don't think that flute would be that difficult. I took piano lessons, and some guitar lessons. Really want to play flute. Practice and patience...maybe in a month I will be playing a song. I'm not saying that flute lessons are ideal, but I think maybe just to get myself started I will go for a month or two.
Thanks for your help.
dorm7guard
I forgot to mention that I signed up for the year here at fluteland also. That's been a great help with the beginning stuff. I haven't delved into the more advanced stuff yet because, yeah, 3 weeks here. I think with a teacher you'll be able to progress a lot faster than me. Good luck!

Anie

dorm7guard
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat Mar 31, 2012 6:19 am

Re: Can someone tell me: Is there an easy, self taught

Post by dorm7guard » Sun Apr 01, 2012 5:36 pm

Well, I'm going to give it a try. I should probably sign up at Fluteland also. Thanks a lot for your input; I really appreciate it.
dorm7guard

dorm7guard
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat Mar 31, 2012 6:19 am

Re: Can someone tell me: Is there an easy, self taught

Post by dorm7guard » Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:45 am

Anie,
You must have some talent for playing the flute to begin with? I just heard that playing the flute is very difficult to learn. I'm hoping to pick it up in a month or so, only because you said that you are playing the flute now with only 3 weeks of learning. Moving the fingers, and holding the flute in the exact position, I find difficult. I am left-handed, but that shouldn't make a difference. I guess if one keeps practicing with it, they should get it soon.
Thanks for your input again!
Dorm7guard

cmybliss
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:25 pm

Re: Can someone tell me: Is there an easy, self taught

Post by cmybliss » Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:03 pm

dorm7guard wrote:Anie,
You must have some talent for playing the flute to begin with? I just heard that playing the flute is very difficult to learn. I'm hoping to pick it up in a month or so, only because you said that you are playing the flute now with only 3 weeks of learning. Moving the fingers, and holding the flute in the exact position, I find difficult. I am left-handed, but that shouldn't make a difference. I guess if one keeps practicing with it, they should get it soon.
Thanks for your input again!
Dorm7guard
Well thank you! I can't claim any special talent for it, just a will to be able to play well enough to keep up with my daughter. (For a little while at least! She's pretty good on her horn.) I do a lot of hand sewing and embroidery, so I think that helps with the dexterity of my fingers. As for holding the flute itself, besides the issues I have with my too-close-to-the-surface nerves, it just feels kind of natural.
From the sound of things, you'll be playing in no time!

Anie

ponderwilu
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:02 am

Re: Can someone tell me: Is there an easy, self taught

Post by ponderwilu » Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:04 pm

I just started playing flute too. I have the "Dummies" book as well. I also watch alot of youtube video's. Here's a flute music teacher that's pretty good and he's got 7 or so teaching video's.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6dYx-Gl ... ure=relmfu
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G__MhC4U ... ure=relmfu
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3mNdWQZ ... ure=relmfu
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQGBohAE ... ure=relmfu
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugRk88n_ ... ure=relmfu

User avatar
Bo
Posts: 389
Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2008 5:40 pm
Location: Down Under

Re: Can someone tell me: Is there an easy, self taught

Post by Bo » Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:50 pm

This was my very first book, and I am self-taught too: http://www.amazon.com/How-Play-Flute-Ev ... 0312288611.

evrmre
Posts: 99
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:22 am

Re: Can someone tell me: Is there an easy, self taught

Post by evrmre » Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:57 am

One good book, though it is pretty technical, is "The art of playing flute", by Roger Mather. I bought it as a PDF some time back, and have found it to be one of the best books on the topic so far...

I just wish I'd had it before I picked up so many bad habits (I am also self taught...)

connieg
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:44 pm

Re: Can someone tell me: Is there an easy, self taught

Post by connieg » Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:45 pm

You can play a duet after 3 weeks??!! I'm just trying to keep from dropping the thing after 5 weeks! I just ordered a thumb guide ( for the right thumb) and a finger saddle (for my left pointer finger). I hope that helps me hold onto the flute. I'll let you all know if it helps.

fluteguy18
Posts: 2311
Joined: Sun Jul 16, 2006 3:11 pm

Re: Can someone tell me: Is there an easy, self taught

Post by fluteguy18 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:42 pm

dorm7guard wrote: I'm not saying that flute lessons are ideal,
dorm7guard

I am! A DVD and self-help book are no substitute to a quality teacher. Not only would you improve more quickly, you would find it less frustrating (probably) and more rewarding. Furthermore you would be supporting the Arts in you area (which is always a good thing).

Save yourself the frustration and get a teacher. You won't regret it! It's the best way to go if you can manage it! No amount of internet replies and DVDs will substitute their knowledge and experience first hand.

User avatar
flutego12
Posts: 554
Joined: Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:51 am
Location: Southern Hemisphere, Earth

Re: Can someone tell me: Is there an easy, self taught

Post by flutego12 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:54 am

my old teacher recommended me The New Tune A Day Book . She had thought the old version better but I've found it useful...somewhat
Last edited by flutego12 on Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
flutist with a screwdriver

Post Reply