Sale alert Orpheo flutes on clearance on Ebay

For Anything and Everything to do with Flute Playing and Music

Moderators: Classitar, pied_piper, Phineas

User avatar
Phineas
Posts: 953
Joined: Sat Jan 22, 2005 1:08 am

Sale alert Orpheo flutes on clearance on Ebay

Post by Phineas » Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:07 pm

You can make an offer for flutes that use to cost $800 - $1000 for $300 to $400. I just made an offer for the Orpheo composite flute, and won it for a very generous reduction by using the "Make Offer" function.

These flutes are along the same quality and playabilty as the Pearl Quantz series flutes! Here is one of them on sale!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ORPHEO-FLUTE-SILVER ... .m14.l1262

I talked to John on the phone, and these flutes are brand new, and not seconds. They are just doing an inventory reduction!

Phineas

User avatar
Flutacious
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:49 pm

Post by Flutacious » Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:39 pm

I must respectfully disagree about Orpheo flutes being the same quality as Pearl. The construction is not even close to the same quality. I have tried both and looked at them closely.

User avatar
Phineas
Posts: 953
Joined: Sat Jan 22, 2005 1:08 am

Post by Phineas » Thu Mar 26, 2009 4:50 am

Flutacious wrote:I must respectfully disagree about Orpheo flutes being the same quality as Pearl. The construction is not even close to the same quality. I have tried both and looked at them closely.
I agree to a point. The main difference between them is the mechanism. Of coure the Pearl has the pinless mechanism. They definitely do not fell the same. However, quality wise, they are comparable. Also, the Orpheos are Taiwanese made like the Quantz series. I have often thought that the Orpheo is a copy of a Pearl....lol

Still, when you can get one for as little as $300 dollars(If you make an offer), it is still a steal at the price. A good opportunity for someone to upgrade at a low price!

Phineas

User avatar
Alkatji
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:40 am
Location: Somewhere in Europe

Post by Alkatji » Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:21 am

Phineas Hi:

Im thinking in getting one
But I am confused

You mention composite flute.. checking on Orpheo website i see Kyoto, Nara, Egues models...
your link mention Orpheo 715 RB-T Model.... is this the flute you ordered or..?
I would like open holes and inline G, not sure I understand well for the other options... composite sounds nice, is it the one you got for 300$ something ? (I guess not :oops:)

Could you advise wich one to get?

TBH I called them and the person on the phone asked me which model i wanted and i was like "hum..heerm ..booo..not sure... let me call you back". I was too ignorant to make the order at that moment and decided to investigate a bit before buying.

Thanks in advance i really appreciate if you can answer.

Peace & Flute. 8)

User avatar
Phineas
Posts: 953
Joined: Sat Jan 22, 2005 1:08 am

Post by Phineas » Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:31 pm

Alkatji

Here is one

http://cgi.ebay.com/ORPHEO-FLUTE-SILVER ... 7C294%3A50

I got the Richard Egües Model.

FYI, Orpheo use to be affiliated with Steve Goodson. Ever since he broke aways from them, Orpheo, Steve Goodson, Vespro horns have gone on clearance.

Hope this helps

Phineas

User avatar
Alkatji
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:40 am
Location: Somewhere in Europe

Post by Alkatji » Thu Mar 26, 2009 4:10 pm

Thanks for the explanation

another question if I may, to you Phineas or to one of the other allmighty flutists of this forum :mrgreen:


I know Im just starting and everything but heh.. life is short and...:
Would you recommend an alto flute from Orpheo if they have some available?

Also about the C flute should I take open holes or closed holes... Im used to open holes but I ve just red some opinion about Orpheo student flutes saying the closed hole models was better than the open one.....


(Sorry Iam so curious with flutes in general and this is really a gread board, I found here so many useful information so I ask anyway let me know if that's too much )

Thanks

User avatar
Phineas
Posts: 953
Joined: Sat Jan 22, 2005 1:08 am

Post by Phineas » Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:51 pm

Alkatji wrote:Thanks for the explanation

another question if I may, to you Phineas or to one of the other allmighty flutists of this forum :mrgreen:
I dont know about that! There are definitely better flutist on here than I am, but I can hold my own. :wink:
I know Im just starting and everything but heh.. life is short and...:
Would you recommend an alto flute from Orpheo if they have some available?
Frankly, I have not tried a Taiwanese Alto Flute that I was ever impressed with. I have never tried the Orpheo, so I cannot make a comment. However, its not be a piece of junk. If you have to money, go for it! Just keep in mind that is is a wierd key (G). See if they will accept a return and just try it for your self!
Also about the C flute should I take open holes or closed holes... Im used to open holes but I ve just red some opinion about Orpheo student flutes saying the closed hole models was better than the open one.....
Either one is fine. With the same headjoint, and material, an open hole and a closed hole flute will almost exactly the same. Most enhancements for flutes are for the player. 99% of the audience will never know the difference!
(Sorry Iam so curious with flutes in general and this is really a gread board, I found here so many useful information so I ask anyway let me know if that's too much )
Dont worry about it. You are fine!

Phineas

User avatar
Phineas
Posts: 953
Joined: Sat Jan 22, 2005 1:08 am

Post by Phineas » Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:29 am

Here is a video on youtube that compares a Pearl 695 Dolce to am Orpheo 615

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=waG1JZ66 ... re=related

This is not a fair comparison, but it is entertaining none the less.

Phineas

User avatar
MissyHPhoenix
Posts: 368
Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2008 5:19 pm
Location: Hammond, LA, USA

Post by MissyHPhoenix » Sat Mar 28, 2009 8:53 am

Phineas, I hope you enjoy your Orpheo composite. I got one about a year ago (before they went on sale!!!) and had fun with it. However, I have to warn you that it did not hold up well to play; mine is unplayable now, and I was advised by a flute repairperson that I shouldn't throw more money after it because it won't stay fixed. :cry: If I end up having extra $$$, I might go ahead & put in the funds so I can play with it again, but right now it's just sitting there.

Hopefully my experience is not the norm.
Missy

Why Be Normal????

User avatar
Phineas
Posts: 953
Joined: Sat Jan 22, 2005 1:08 am

Post by Phineas » Sat Mar 28, 2009 4:17 pm

MissyHPhoenix wrote:Phineas, I hope you enjoy your Orpheo composite. I got one about a year ago (before they went on sale!!!) and had fun with it. However, I have to warn you that it did not hold up well to play; mine is unplayable now, and I was advised by a flute repairperson that I shouldn't throw more money after it because it won't stay fixed. :cry: If I end up having extra $$$, I might go ahead & put in the funds so I can play with it again, but right now it's just sitting there.

Hopefully my experience is not the norm.
Yeah, I remember when you got yours! I have played on their metal flutes before, but this will be a first for me. I am curious what made your flute unplayable?

User avatar
MissyHPhoenix
Posts: 368
Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2008 5:19 pm
Location: Hammond, LA, USA

Post by MissyHPhoenix » Sat Mar 28, 2009 4:41 pm

It seems to be a pad/leaking problem. It came on slowly over a few months; middle register started being "airy", then slowly became unplayable. I contacted a flute specialty repairperson about it and that's when I was told that they don't hold up to the repairs that are made on them. If I would've paid more attention, I might could've sent it back while it was under warranty and gotten them to fix it, but I don't play it that often. Which is another issue altogether .... it's not like I played it several hours every day, so I would think it should've held up longer. But, from what I've been told, the consensus is that they aren't padded well to begin with. But, again, there is always the chance that mine was just abnormal, and yours might be fine! I also was told that if I'd had it checked out right after I got it, might have prevented the problems I'm having now. Oh well, live and learn.

I did/do enjoy playing on the composite ... it is so unique! I still think I might take a chance and pay the $200 or so it would take to get it going again. I like to play all of my flutes, each one has a different flavor to it.

I hope you enjoy yours! Please let me know how you like it. Mine was harder to play than my silver flutes, have to blow a lot harder, and the action on the keys takes more pressure. I'd love to know if you have the same experience.
Missy

Why Be Normal????

User avatar
JButky
Posts: 386
Joined: Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:21 pm
Location: Mt. Juliet

Post by JButky » Sat Mar 28, 2009 5:08 pm

The composite body flute of merit is the one from Mr. Guo. (The Matit carbon fiber flute is another even more pricey type)

You can see the Guo here.
http://www.flute.com.tw/en/products/ind ... d=31&id=41

Nicely made and plays well consistently. The price is not cheap though, (@$2500). There are a couple of different models (different densities distinguished by color)

Like pretty much everything, you do get what you pay for though.

Joe B
Joe B

User avatar
Phineas
Posts: 953
Joined: Sat Jan 22, 2005 1:08 am

Post by Phineas » Sat Mar 28, 2009 5:13 pm

MissyHPhoenix wrote:It seems to be a pad/leaking problem. It came on slowly over a few months; middle register started being "airy", then slowly became unplayable. I contacted a flute specialty repairperson about it and that's when I was told that they don't hold up to the repairs that are made on them. If I would've paid more attention, I might could've sent it back while it was under warranty and gotten them to fix it, but I don't play it that often. Which is another issue altogether .... it's not like I played it several hours every day, so I would think it should've held up longer. But, from what I've been told, the consensus is that they aren't padded well to begin with. But, again, there is always the chance that mine was just abnormal, and yours might be fine! I also was told that if I'd had it checked out right after I got it, might have prevented the problems I'm having now. Oh well, live and learn.

I did/do enjoy playing on the composite ... it is so unique! I still think I might take a chance and pay the $200 or so it would take to get it going again. I like to play all of my flutes, each one has a different flavor to it.

I hope you enjoy yours! Please let me know how you like it. Mine was harder to play than my silver flutes, have to blow a lot harder, and the action on the keys takes more pressure. I'd love to know if you have the same experience.
I will definitely have to keep you posted. Sounds like a pad issue more than a mechanical one. On wood flutes is it the same way. I had similar issues initally when I owned a Woodnote wood flute. If it is just a pad issue, then it may be worth it to get that pads done on it after I get it. I will definitely keep you posted. I already have someone lined up to look at it when it gets here.

I am planning on this being my main live instrument, so it will be put through the test. I use to have a Buffet International Model with a Wood Headjoint that was stolen a couple of years ago. Hopefully this will be a usefully replacement.

Thanks for the info, and stay tuned!

Phineas

User avatar
Phineas
Posts: 953
Joined: Sat Jan 22, 2005 1:08 am

Post by Phineas » Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:07 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eytMc34wIp4

The tone was cool, but too bad the flute player was WAY too sharp! I hate that! But that is one of the hazards of playing flute with that kind of band.

Phineas

User avatar
MissyHPhoenix
Posts: 368
Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2008 5:19 pm
Location: Hammond, LA, USA

Post by MissyHPhoenix » Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:15 am

Neat playing. I am always amazed when I hear jazz flutists -- I can NOT for the life of me play like that! Give me a piece of music in front of me and I go to town, but improv ..... yeeesh. Musicians who can do that have all of my admiration!
Missy

Why Be Normal????

Post Reply