C, C# notes won't seperate

Taking care of your instrument

Moderators: Classitar, pied_piper, Phineas

GrammaWayne

C, C# notes won't seperate

Post by GrammaWayne »

I just bought my used flute, $10, so far it has played well, I am now attempting to play the low c and c#. When I hold the foot joint upside down, the keys will close separately, but when I hold it up straight like I am playing, they both close together. So, I am unable to play the c# note. The problem seems to be in the roller. ( I think that's what it is called)

I am a beginner at the flute but play several other instruments. My husband is very handy, and I am wondering if this is something we might be able to fix our selves. However, I haven't been able to figure out what is causing my problem. The flute is an Olds. Likely not the best brand, but for a total beginner, I am very pleased after two weeks of learning.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

pied_piper

Re: C, C# notes won't seperate

Post by pied_piper »

It might be a spring that has come off of its cradle or it might be a binding key. Your best bet is to get it checked by a professional flute technician. Attempts at repair by non-flutists seldom go well and can often result in making things worse and end up costing more to correct botched repair attempts.
"Never give a flute player a screwdriver."
--anonymous--

GrammaWayne

Re: C, C# notes won't seperate

Post by GrammaWayne »

Thanks. We got looking more closely and saw the spring off. We gave It a little push with a q-tip and it went right back on. Works now. I even sounded the low c a couple times.

I'm excited to get my learning book and move ahead on this instrument.