NAPBIRT MEMBERSHIP

Taking care of your instrument

Moderators: Classitar, pied_piper, Phineas

Post Reply
User avatar
flutego12
Posts: 554
Joined: Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:51 am
Location: Southern Hemisphere, Earth

NAPBIRT MEMBERSHIP

Post by flutego12 »

Looking at the membership application form ...

Is there any opportunity for people who are keenly seeking to become a [properly accredited - is important] flute technician or active involvement in woodwind (flute) repair but who is not yet currently enrolled in a technical school or apprenticeship program to join Napbirt in any capacity?

Understand about the need to maintain professional standards, but enrolment and apprenticeships may not be immediately available or logistically possible.
flutist with a screwdriver

User avatar
JButky
Posts: 391
Joined: Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:21 pm
Location: Mt. Juliet

Re: NAPBIRT MEMBERSHIP

Post by JButky »

flutego12 wrote:Looking at the membership application form ...

Is there any opportunity for people who are keenly seeking to become a [properly accredited - is important] flute technician or active involvement in woodwind (flute) repair but who is not yet currently enrolled in a technical school or apprenticeship program to join Napbirt in any capacity?

Understand about the need to maintain professional standards, but enrolment and apprenticeships may not be immediately available or logistically possible.
Napbirt is an educational organization, there is no accreditation.

"MEMBERSHIP REQUIRMENTS

Any person who has been or is presently involved in the profession of restoring, reconditioning or repairing of musical instruments may be considered a candidate for membership provided that he/she has the technical skills to derive at least 50% of their income from an occupation in musical instrument technology and is at least 18 years of age."

A student membership allows 3 years to "get on board". I would look at that
Joe B

mirwa
Posts: 271
Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:36 pm
Location: Australia - Perth
Contact:

Re: NAPBIRT MEMBERSHIP

Post by mirwa »

Napirt means nothing here in Australia.

I believe the organisation is good for its members in America, but there is no recognition here within Australia.

Reputation is what will get you anywhere in this field, reputation is acquired from doing something right again and again.

I've never had a customer ask if I was a member of an American organisation prior to having me repair there instrument

Steve

User avatar
flutego12
Posts: 554
Joined: Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:51 am
Location: Southern Hemisphere, Earth

Re: NAPBIRT MEMBERSHIP

Post by flutego12 »

Reason I ask is because, I am considering attending one of Joe's clinics which I am really keen on AND being a member gives one a delicious $300 discount. That aside, always good to know some ppl in the trade.
flutist with a screwdriver

User avatar
JButky
Posts: 391
Joined: Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:21 pm
Location: Mt. Juliet

Re: NAPBIRT MEMBERSHIP

Post by JButky »

flutego12 wrote:Reason I ask is because, I am considering attending one of Joe's clinics which I am really keen on AND being a member gives one a delicious $300 discount. That aside, always good to know some ppl in the trade.

I've been discounted??? :shock:


:wink:
Joe B

fluteguy18
Posts: 2311
Joined: Sun Jul 16, 2006 3:11 pm

Re: NAPBIRT MEMBERSHIP

Post by fluteguy18 »

What clinics are you giving Joe? I know the one in Portland in April, but are there any others? If things go the way I think they will I'll probably be within a couple hours of you after I graduate...

User avatar
JButky
Posts: 391
Joined: Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:21 pm
Location: Mt. Juliet

Re: NAPBIRT MEMBERSHIP

Post by JButky »

fluteguy18 wrote:What clinics are you giving Joe? I know the one in Portland in April, but are there any others? If things go the way I think they will I'll probably be within a couple hours of you after I graduate...
I thought I posted a reply before. Must've not hit enter.

Doing the same clinic next weekend here at KHS America, but spread out over two sessions to go into more detail.

So here or Portland will essentially be the same clinic...
Joe B

Post Reply